Hair Loss Caused By Weight Loss
Hair loss from weight loss is generally due to a condition known as telogen effluvium. No matter what manner people use to lose weight, the more weight they lose, the more likely they are to experience some temporary hair loss.
How Weight Loss Leads To Hair Shedding
Hair fall is one of the most concerning matters for people nowadays. When people are losing a lot of weight, whether by eating less, exercising more, or stomach stapling, the body senses some kind of starvation. It is true that in general the amount of hair grown is far much higher than the amount of hair fall. However, under certain conditions like weight loss some people can suffer from a tragic shedding. Stress and emotional damages caused by losing curls along with dieting, specially in women, will just make it worse.
Hair Growth Phase
Before we talk about how losing weight leads to shedding hair, lets take a look on the hair’s cycle of life.
Our hair follicles grow vigorously in a phase known as anagen and a phase termed as Telogen (telogen effluvium). Under normal circumstances, hair grows as much as ½ inch per month for approximately 2 years then goes into a resting phase knows as telogen. At the end of the resting phase, new hairs replace old ones. Approximately 10 percent of the hair goes into resting phase. Physical and emotional stress from dieting can cause more hair than usual to go into resting phase, and fall out when new hairs come in.
Hair Loss Due To Weight Loss
It’s normal to lose hair at certain times of the year. You’ll notice it more at some times than others, even when you’re not dieting. However, following an excessive diet will make hair fall like crazy and there is a good reason why.
When people follow unbalanced diets that lack of proper nutritional values. The body suffers from a kind of starvation on energy. As a protective mechanism, that is normally available to less essential tasks such as hair growth is re-directed to more essential needs such as preserving muscle. As a result, hair follicles stop getting enough nutrition & oxygen. Eventually these follicles fall or stop growing, which leads to hair shedding.
To explain it in a much better manner. If you’re not getting proper nutritional values in your daily food such as protein, iron, fats and vitamin A. Your hair follicles will starve to death. Not just hair, but other fragile parts of the body such as nails & eyebrows will also be affected by the malnutrition.
How To Prevent Hair Loss During Weight Loss
- Make sure you are eating enough calories. While you do need to restrict calories for weight loss, restricting too much can cause hair loss because the body does not have enough energy to support hair growth.
- Eat enough protein, which is a major component of the hair as hair itself is made of protein.
- Add fruits and vegetables to your daily food routine, they contain vitamin A, C and E as well as zinc, which all contribute to hair growth.
- Whole grain is a great addition as it’s rich in iron, which is a major factor in hair loss.
- Take a nutritional supplement, such as a multivitamin, they can help your body’s needs of many vitamins.
- Weight yourself once a week to gauge your process. Losing more than 2 lbs a week can put you at risk of losing your curls.
- Support your hair by shampooing it with sulfite free, natural all organic compounds that nourish follicles & help them produce healthy hair. Here’s a list of natural products that help prevent shedding.
The condition is usually resolved when the person stops losing weight. And gradually increases calorie intake by going on to a nutritionally balanced maintenance eating plan.
Starving your body is not gonna get you any satisfying results. Yes, you might lose weight, but you’ll also lose other important things in the process. So, before starting any weight loss diet, go for an expert consultation. They will provide you with a healthy diet that will help you lose weight but maintain healthy & strong at the same time. Doing things randomly will get you negative results & can put your life at risk.
Leaving you with this article that i hope was useful to you, I wishing you nothing but to be healthy & happy.